[Linux] Erased Home Directory

English main discussion

[Linux] Erased Home Directory

Postby cheebsco » 31 Mar 2013, 05:42

I am an experienced user with bombono. Usually, I burn a cd with the defualt folder, but I wanted to create a new folder for a common cd I was planning on creating for a training program. I created the new folder in my home directory and selected it. There is a problem though, when it asked me if it was okay to clear the directory of files, I said okay... My newly created folder said training... then it was replaced with home when I selected okay. This caused my home folder to be portionally erased, some of it was protected. Now I\m downloading data recovery software. Has anyone experienced this before? It caused an immediate shutdown and restart of my system. Now I've lost my user data for Ubuntu. Anyhelp would be appreciated.
cheebsco
Cell Newbie

Re: Erased Home Directory

Postby muravjov » 01 Apr 2013, 09:27

Yes, it is known error, but not in Bombono, it is in GTK2 that Bombono uses.
My quotation from http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/bombono/ticket/86 -

"
Well, it is the bug, introduced in GTK+ library, 2.24.11, and fixed in 2.24.15; it hurts all GTK programs in Ubuntu 12.10, i.e.:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2101074
https://bugs.launchpad.net/soundconverter/+bug/1063724

The workaround: you have to select the folder but don't enter into it, and then finish the File Chooser dialog with pressing the button "Open".

Users are encouraged to update to GTK >= 2.24.15.
The nasty bug, yes. :(
"
Because of this I explicitely prohibited to choose the home directory in 1.2.2 .

P.S. I am sorry about your data loss.
muravjov
Forum Admin

Re: Erased Home Directory

Postby cheebsco » 02 Apr 2013, 03:11

Thanks for such a timely reply. I understand the issue better now. Trying to understand the data recovery for Ubuntu. It seems when the data is gone... its gone. Especially *.pod files. I've been using Ubuntu as a project OS because of the security and performance. Absolutely love the production value of Bombono. Just this little hickup deleted some custom reports, important sheets, etc. Also learned when you upgrade the distro to 12.10 you need to set the backup settings again... no backups havq generated since I went from 12.04 to 12.10. Oh well, such is life. I was able to recover a pdf that i generated and printed. It lists all the tasks, targets, etc. My Training program is saved by a piece of paper. Not all is gone. Moral of the story back-up before you update, and update often. Images are worth a thousand words.
cheebsco
Cell Newbie

undo erase! HELP!

Postby weldmaster80 » 16 Apr 2013, 22:19

I wanted to save my disk immage to my desktop and just let bombono delete everythigng on my desktop. HELP!

is there anyway to undo this type of delete.... someone I know MAY have deleted his desktop, complete with irreplaceable photos of loved ones :( the files are not in the recycling bin but I've not emptied it or done anything really sense the accident.
weldmaster80
Cell Newbie

Return to Discussion (English)